8/8/12
2012 - 2013 School Year
School started 4 weeks ago. We started early in order to keep them from forgetting everything from last year. I also wanted to be able to take more time off during the year.
We joined a new home school group this year and I'm excited for some of the activities the kids will get to do this year.
I'm also going to enroll 3 older girls in a running group. Not only do they teach fitness, but they will also teach character, values and a proper self image. I think they will get a lot out of it.
Boo is not technically kindergarten age, but has shown a desire to learn to read. She's doing well. I won't push her but as long as she's having fun, we'll play school.
Bear is 1st grade. She's my most strong willed child. Teaching her is most certainly teaching me patience! But she is so smart. She loves to learn, just as long as its on her own terms. My main focus with her will be on character rather than academics.
N is 2nd grade. She's still struggling with reading but making progress. She really loves writing class and is quite good at remembering the details of the stories to narrate back. Phonics will be our focus.
S and T are both 3rd grade. S is just breezing through school. He will occasionally hit a bump in the road but overall, it comes easy for him. T's strengths are history and science, particularly any kind of zoology. He loves animals! S will work on reading comprehension and T will work on attention to detail.
Ladybug is 4th grade. Math is her weakest subject. But through that, her strength of character shines! While frustration over math occasionally brings her to tears, she never gives up. I really admire her ability to gain control over those emotions and get the work done with a good attitude. She will continue to make math and logic her priority
B is in 5th grade. I have seen a lot of growth in him since we started back this year. He exercises much better self control. If I were to ask him, he would say math is his weakest subject. But he really is quite smart and usually sails through his day. B will keep working on his new found self control. I would also like to see him make that "leap" to a higher level of thinking that usually happens around this age. I do see signs of it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can't believe B is going into 5th! What the heck?! Time flies! What home school group did you join? Are you not at LMHSA or did you do two groups?
ReplyDeleteI know! Next year is middle school! I'm sure that is was not that long ago we arrived at the orphanage in Manilla to pick him up. I'm getting weepy!
DeleteNo, we're not at LMHSA this year. We made the hard choice to fellowship at a different church so we had to find a new HS group.