7/11/11

Teachable Moments

Today, one of my colorful little gems plotted and planned and finally committed a crime (against long standing household rules).  When said gem was caught red-handed, s/he was not repentant or contrite but said with a touch of sarcasm "sooorry".  Hmmm.  S/he was sentenced to 15 minutes of sitting quietly on the bed.  Then, said child stomps up the stairs.  It took 2 more times of practice going up the stairs sans attitude before s/he mastered this skill.

Ok, I'm not just writing to complain about my child.  Here's where it gets really good!

Little gem calls down the stairs "Mom, can I come down now?"  I say "Yes, let's talk."  We talked about why s/he was angry with me, and why that anger was misplaced.  We talked about why the original sarcastic apology was unacceptable. Gem was worried that God was angry and might not want him/her.  We talked about why that was impossible. We talked about honesty and trust.  Gem was then asked to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the infraction.  It was very very hard for Gem but s/he finally got the words out.  Then the tears came and a real, heartfelt apology.  We prayed together and it was as though the weight of the world was removed from his/her shoulders.

Gem helped me make dinner, then swept the floor after dinner and even vacuumed the carpet in the family room - - all without being asked to. 

I love those teachable moments.  When you just know for certain that the lesson was learned and the child has grown and matured right before your eyes!  It really makes my day!

I have gotten into a bad habit of stopping at the punishment part of discipline.  I had temporarily forgotten that the word discipline comes from the word disciple, which means to teach.  It's easier and less time consuming to skip the teaching part of discipline. With 7 kids constantly needing something from me, I have allowed myself to fall in to the trap of spending my time putting out fires rather than preventing them.  I am excited about God's gentle reminder to me that I have veered off the path.  I feel relieved and look forward to tomorrows challenges.


Correct your son, and he will give you rest; Yes, he will give delight to your soul.  Proverbs 29:17

1 comment:

  1. So true Terrie! It is easy to forget and only concentrate on the immediate problem rather than follow through and get to the heart of the problem.

    ReplyDelete