9/11/15

Unschooling Part 2 (365:161 - 162)

Tuesday morning, I told the kids that, with the exception of math and reading, they could learn about whatever they wanted.  They thought I had lost my mind!  Then they asked if Dad knew what I was doing. After I assured them that Dad and I were on the same page, and that there was no catch, they had one last question for me.  They asked "What do you want me to learn about?" They were absolutely incapable of coming up with anything.  I finally gave them a list of about 10-15 ideas to help spark their curiosity.  I also told them that I wanted to redo the backyard to plant more fruit and veggies to eat.  I also mentioned the possibility of getting chickens.

The kids got really excited and went to work researching.

Bear is our resident chicken expert.  She knows exactly what breeds we should get, what their temperaments are, and how many eggs they will lay per year.  She also knows that red zinnias are the best flower to plant to attract both bees and hummingbirds.

Knight researched and made a worm farm.  He will also be in charge of our compost bin when we do that.




Tigger decided to learn to crochet.  He made an adorable stocking.


Princess and Boo are still trying to figure out what interests them.

Mr. Baseball chose not to participate.  He said he wanted to learn something and that my way wasn't teaching anybody anything.

By Friday morning, I had 5 very bored kids.  They wanted to know what project they could do next. It was tough not to give them a to do list.  They wanted to play video games. (No) They wanted to watch TV (No).  They ended up fighting a lot.

I, on the other hand, am quietly having a massive anxiety attack.  Am I going to ruin them academically?  Will all my kids grow up ignorant? Will they end up poor and begging in the street because they can't get a job? Argh!




3 comments:

  1. maybe you can tweak it a bit and do a little of both unschoolong and regular school..
    To break up the monotony of boring school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along the chicken line...my nephew made his own incubator from research and would order eggs online to hatch? ( I think he could run his own poultry farm if needed. He has Masters in Psychology and is doing well) The love of learning is what you are trying to instill. Your kids will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    We are a casting company in Los Angeles that specializes in high quality documentary series. Our programming looks to educate viewers on the unique life stories of interesting individuals.

    We are currently looking to create a show around a large family such as yours, and have you share your story. I came across your beautiful family here, and would love to discuss this opportunity with you. If you feel, as we do, that your family would make a good fit for us, please fill out the application at the following link and we can discuss the next steps!

    www.MactionCasting.Com/Family

    Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you!

    Julia

    julia@mactioncasting.com
    (323) 391 4309 (Calls & Text Ok)

    MAC Worldwide Inc
    7551 Sunset Blvd, #205
    Los Angeles, CA 90046

    ReplyDelete